Pet owners are responsible for making sure their pets are under control, especially if they are taking their dog out for a walk. If a dog feels threatened or is afraid, it may become dangerous when defending itself. If an uncontrolled dog bites you, you may be entitled to compensation. Seek out a Personal Injury Lawyer in New York to help you understand your rights if you are bitten.
In The Moment
If a dog bites you, here are some things you should do at the time of injury:
- Get the owner of the dog’s information, such as name, address, and phone number
- If it is a stray, pick out some identifying factors of the dog for someone to be able to find
- Wash the bite with soap and water
- Call your doctor for care instructions, or call 311 to report the bite and determine if you may need a rabies shot
- If the dog is dangerous to others, call 911
It is important to tend to the bite in a careful manner and make sure you are taken care of. Depending on the severity of the bite, you might have to go to the hospital to stop infection or get a rabies shot. It may also be beneficial to contact a Personal Injury Lawyer even if you are unsure about suing the owner.
When it comes to a dog bite, you have the right to sue the owner for any medical charges necessary. Legally, the dog owner is liable for any damages or injuries the dog may have caused you. If they are found guilty, dog owners will compensate you for medical expenses, time lost from work, and suffering. For a civil liability lawsuit, you should be able to prove one or more of the following to hold the owner liable:
- The state you are in has “strict liability dog-bite laws,” in which case the owner is financially responsible
- You can prove the owner knew the dog tended to bite/cause injury (had a “vicious propensity”)
- You can prove the owner was negligent in failing to properly restrain or safe guard the dog against causing injury
When it comes to criminal liability, a judge will order the owner to follow certain restrictions when it comes to the dog or orders the dog to be euthanized if the dog is dangerous.
If you or someone in your town has been bitten by a dog and is seeking legal action, contacting Personal Injury Lawyer in New York, is the place to start. Our offices can help you seek the proper legal action required to get you the compensation you need. Call us today!