Pet owners are responsible for making sure their pets are under control, especially if they are taking their dog out for a walk. If a dog feels threatened or is afraid, it may become dangerous as a defense for themselves. If an uncontrolled dog bites you, you may be entitled to compensation for it. Seeking out Personal Injury Lawyer in Hauppauge NY, from us will help you understand your rights if you are bitten.
In The Moment
If a dog bites you, here are some things you should do at the time of injury:
- Get the owner of the dog’s information, such as name, address, and phone number
- If it is a stray, pick out some identifying factors of the dog for someone to be able to find
- Wash the bite with soap and water
- Call your doctor for care instructions, or call 311 to report the bite and determine if you may need a rabies shot
- If the dog is dangerous to others, call 911
It is important to tend to the bite in a careful manner and make sure you are taken care of. Depending on the severity of the bite, you might have to go to the hospital to stop infection or get a rabies shot. It may also be beneficial to contact Personal Injury Lawyer in Hauppauge NY if you intend to sue the owner.
When it comes to a dog bite, you have the right to sue the owner for any medical charges necessary. Legally, the dog owner is liable for any damages or injuries the dog may have caused you. If they are found guilty, dog owners will compensate you for medical expenses, time lost from work, and suffering. For a civil liability lawsuit, you should be able to prove one or more of the following to hold the owner liable:
- The state you are in has “strict liability dog-bite laws,” in which case the owner is financially responsible
- You can prove the owner knew the dog tended to bite/cause injury
- You can prove the owner was negligent
When it comes to criminal liability, a judge will order the owner to follow certain restrictions when it comes to the dog or orders the dog to be euthanized if the dog is dangerous. In severe cases where the dog kills someone, the owner may be charged with manslaughter or a similar crime.
If you or someone in your town has been bitten by a dog and is seeking legal action, contacting Personal Injury Lawyer in Hauppauge NY, is the place to start. Our offices can help you seek the proper legal action required to get you the compensation you need. Call us today!
Personal Injury is a broad term used in the legal world to cover a wide variety of injuries that can happen to one’s body, emotions, or reputation. It applies to any injury that a person or entity inflicts upon another person that was from intentional, negligent, or reckless behavior. It is important to hire legal counsel to make sure that you are fully aware of the compensation that you may be owed. If you are searching for a personal injury claims lawyer in Ronkonkoma Claims lawyer in Ronkonkoma, NY, contact Gulotta & Gulotta.
Common Causes of Personal Injury
Many different causes give one the right to file a claim to recover damages. When someone suffers from an injury of any sort, there are many after-effects due to the event. The following are common types of personal injury cases:
- Vehicle Accidents: Millions of people are injured due to accidents involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc. If someone is injured, whether it is the driver or a passenger, they may be entitled to compensation for any injury they may have endured.
- Medical Malpractice: Although doctors, nurses, hospitals, and other medical professionals are there to help us, they can also cause serious injury through negligence. If you or a loved one have suffered from medical malpractice and are looking for a personal injury claims lawyer in Ronkonkoma NY, Gulotta & Gulotta can help you to get proper compensation.
- Wrongful Death: This encompasses when someone has been killed due to someone else’s carelessness. The most common examples are deaths due to car crashes, nursing home neglect, and medical malpractice.
- Premises Liability refers to accidents caused by dangerous conditions on someone’s property. This term encompasses accidents that occur on just about any type of land, whether commercial or personal.
Gulotta & Gulotta
Personal Injuries can occur anywhere at any time under various circumstances. It is important that if you suffer from an injury, you get the compensation you deserve. The financial burden that comes from the medical treatment needed after any one of the situations can be detrimental. That is why you should be aware of your rights and have proper legal counsel to help you through. If you need a trusted Personal Injury Lawyer in Hauppauge NY, contact Gulotta & Gulotta today.
Our Personal Injury Lawyer in Hauppauge NY truly believes in doing what is best for our clients, and we strive to help everyone get the justice that they deserve.
Gulotta & Gulotta, PLLC is a general practice, handling a variety of cases in many different legal areas. We have a large focus on Personal Injury and Real Estate matters. We also deal with legal issues involving Estates, Wills, Traffic Violations, Matrimonial and Family matters, and Corporations.
We consider our clients part of our family and we promise to treat you as such. When you choose our firm to help you with your case, we promise to give your case the attention it deserves and you should not expect otherwise from any professional.
Anthony (“Tony”) began his venture into the legal world after graduating from Stony Brook University in 1984 with a Bachelors of Science in Biology. Anthony successfully graduated from Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center in 1987 with his juris doctorate. In 1988, Anthony was admitted to the New York State Bar Association. From then on, Anthony used his law license to help people from all walks of life. Always keeping an upbeat attitude and a smile on his face, Anthony quickly made a reputation for himself as formidable attorney, commanding large settlements and successfully litigating personal injury cases to favorable verdicts for his clients. From real estate closing, defending the criminally accused, negotiating traffic tickets, or helping injured members of the community collect fair compensation, Anthony was continually respected and loved throughout Long Island. No case was too big or small, seeking to help everyone, Anthony created a true legacy in the legal community.
At the young age of 57 years, Anthony sadly passed away, striking a crushing blow to the legal community. The impact Anthony had lives on and continues to strongly influence the community as the name “Gulotta” is now synonymous with compassion and respect among Judges, Legislators, and Attorneys.