Divorce is one of the most difficult things a family can go through. When parents divorce, it can have numerous effects on any children involved. At Gulotta & Gulotta, our family law attorney in Hauppauge, NY understands how challenging this time can be for families, so we will work with you throughout the process to protect the interests of you and your family. Continue reading to discover more about the psychological effects of divorce on children.
The Psychological Effects of Divorce on Children
A divorce can be a tumultuous journey for everyone involved. Children can experience a whole new set of issues during a divorce because they find it confusing, scary, and highly frustrating since it’s out of their control. Children’s responses to a divorce can vary significantly, but here are some of the most commonly seen effects that divorce has on children:
- Trouble adapting to change.
- Loss of interest in social activities.
- Poor academic performance.
- Emotional sensitivity.
- Feelings of guilt.
- Anger or irritability.
Reducing the Effects of Divorce on Children
Divorce can have a significant psychological impact on children, but kids who grow up in a divorced family often carry these burdens into adulthood. To reduce the emotional turmoil divorce has on children, our family law attorney in Hauppauge, NY would like to share some tools that parents can use to make this process easier:
- Co-Parenting – If you and your spouse can foster a civil relationship, your children are less likely to suffer. Our attorney can help you negotiate an agreement that works for you and your family’s needs. Ongoing hostility can damage your child’s wellbeing, so effectively co-parenting can help mitigate these effects.
- Maintain a Healthy Connection – Your children need a healthy relationship with you. Co-parenting effectively with your former spouse and making a consistent effort to communicate and visit with your child can positively affect your children.
- Seek Counseling – A divorce rife with pain and conflict makes it impossible for parents to work together. Seeking help to learn how to co-parent better can have positive effects and reduce stress and conflict between you and your former partner. Counseling can help make divorce less disruptive in your children’s lives.
Contact Us: Family Law Attorney in Hauppauge, NY
Children may struggle to cope with divorce no matter what, but making the process as stress-free and civil as possible can help your children avoid these issues. Our family law attorney in Hauppauge, NY at Gulotta & Gulotta is here to help streamline the divorce process and mitigate the stress of this event on the whole family. Be sure to contact us today to learn more and request a consultation.