Pet owners are responsible for making sure their pets are under control, especially if they are taking their dogs out for a walk. If a dog feels threatened or is afraid, it may become dangerous as a defense for itself. If an uncontrolled dog bites you, you may be entitled to compensation for it. Seeking out personal injury lawyer claims in Lake Grove, NY, from us will help you understand your rights if you are bitten. Thankfully, Gulotta & Gulotta is a stone’s throw away in nearby Ronkonkoma.
In The Moment
If a dog bites you, here are some things you should do at the time of injury:
- Get the owner of the dog’s information, such as name, address, and phone number
- If it is a stray, pick out some identifying factors of the dog for someone to be able to find
- Wash the bite with soap and water
- Call your doctor for care instructions, or call 311 to report the edge and determine if you may need a rabies shot
- If the dog is dangerous to others, call 911
It is essential to tend to the bite carefully and make sure you are taken care of. Depending on the severity of the edge, you might have to go to the hospital to stop infection or get a rabies shot. It may also be beneficial to contact personal injury lawyer claims in Lake Grove, NY, if you intend to sue the owner. If you’re willing to travel briefly, the Gulotta & Gulotta Law Firm is close by in Ronkonkoma, NY.
When it comes to a dog bite, you have the right to sue the owner for any medical charges necessary. The dog owner is liable for any damages or injuries the dog may have caused you. If they are found guilty, dog owners will compensate you for medical expenses, time lost from work, and suffering. For a civil liability lawsuit, you should be able to prove one or more of the following to hold the owner liable:
- The state you are in has “strict liability dog-bite laws,” in which case the owner is financially responsible
- You can prove the owner knew the dog tended to bite/cause injury
- You can verify the owner was negligent
When it comes to criminal liability, a judge will order the owner to follow certain restrictions when it comes to the dog or calls the dog to be euthanized if the dog is dangerous. In severe cases where the dog kills someone, the owner may be charged with manslaughter or a similar crime.
If you or someone in your town has been bitten by a dog and is seeking legal action, contacting personal injury lawyer claims in Lake Grove, NY, is the place to start. Gulotta & Gulotta serves Lake Grove residents at our nearby office in Ronkonkoma, NY. Our offices can help you seek the proper legal action required to get you the compensation you need. Call us today!
Prior Results Do Not Guarantee Future Outcomes