An individual commits a crime when they do something that goes against the laws dictated in the New York State Penal Code. Having the best criminal lawyer NYC on your side from the beginning of your proceedings can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case. Our attorneys at Gulotta & Gulotta are here to come to your defense and guide you through the criminal justice system. Continue reading to discover the different classes of felonies.
Classes of Felonies
Felonies are the most serious offenses that you could be charged with. More serious than violations and misdemeanors, you could face severe consequences after committing a felony. If you are facing a felony charge, it’s essential to consult with the best criminal lawyer NYC to ensure your rights are protected. Here are some of the different classes of felonies in New York:
- Class A-1 – Class A-1 felonies have a maximum sentencing term of life in prison. Some examples of these felonies include kidnapping, arson, or aggravated murder.
- Class A-2 – These could carry a maximum life sentence with a minimum of up to eight years. The penalty could be longer for predatory sexual assault. An example of a Class A-2 felony is illegally possessing at least four ounces of narcotics.
- Class B – Maximum sentence of up to 25 years, with a minimum of no less than one year and no more than a third of the maximum sentence. First-degree robbery is a Class B misdemeanor.
- Class C – Maximum sentence of up to 15 years. Examples of Class C felonies include first-degree vehicular manslaughter while driving with a suspended license or while drunk.
- Class D – Maximum sentence of up to 7 years. An example of a Class D offense is second-degree felony assault, including injuring someone with a deadly weapon.
- Class E – Maximum of up to 4 years. Examples of these offenses include conspiracy, aggravated harassment, and stealing a car or credit card worth more than $100.
Felony charges are serious accusations with potentially life-altering consequences. If you or a loved one has been charged with a felony, you will need an experienced attorney at Gulotta & Gulotta to help you in your case.
At Gulotta & Gulotta, we’ve helped countless clients in their time of legal needs. If you have been charged with a felony, consult with the best criminal lawyer NYC. Our experienced criminal defense attorney at our Ronkonkoma, New York office is here to help defend your rights. Be sure to contact us today to request a free consultation.
Prior Results Do Not Guarantee Future Outcomes