Every year, countless individuals are injured in various types of accidents. However, not all injuries provide the grounds for pursuing a personal injury lawsuit. Accident injuries caused by wrongful accidents or negligence of others may meet the definition of personal injury. To determine if you can successfully pursue a personal injury claim, you’ll need the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer on Long Island. At Gulotta & Gulotta, our dedicated attorneys can review your specific situation and help you pursue a claim. Continue reading to learn more about what constitutes a personal injury.
What Are Personal Injuries?
A personal injury occurs when an individual’s body, emotions, or mind are injured due to another person’s carelessness, negligence, or wrongful conduct. Personal injury laws can apply to any injuries that a person or entity causes another, so long as the damage was caused by negligent, intentional, or reckless behavior. A personal injury lawsuit will typically cover the following key problems that can arise following an accident:
- Bodily Harm
- Emotional Distress
- Pain and Suffering
Bodily harm is a relatively easy concept to understand. If an individual was injured in a motor vehicle accident by a reckless driver, the injured party would expect to be compensated. This compensation would cover existing medical costs and should also cover future medical expenses, including physical therapy, home care, and anything else that might help the injured party return to some semblance of normal life. Pain and suffering can be a trickier issue. Our personal injury lawyer on Long Island encourages clients to work with mental health professionals to document their suffering. Emotional distress is a more complex injury to pursue, as it can be seen as negligent or intentionally inflicted. This classification covers a wide range of injuries, from threats of physical harm to defamation. Pursuing a personal injury claim can be challenging on your own. However, our attorneys at Gulotta & Gulotta are here to discuss your situation and help you build the best case to ensure you achieve maximum compensation.
Contact Us: Personal Injury Lawyer On Long Island
No matter what type of injury you suffer, working with a dedicated personal injury lawyer on Long Island at Gulotta & Gulotta is crucial. Our lawyers will utilize our extensive personal injury expertise to advocate for you to ensure you get the maximum compensation for your losses. Be sure to contact us today to learn more and request a consultation.
Pet owners are responsible for making sure their pets are under control, especially if they are taking their dogs out for a walk. If a dog feels threatened or is afraid, it may become dangerous as a defense for itself. If an uncontrolled dog bites you, you may be entitled to compensation for it. Seeking out personal injury lawyer on Long Island, from us will help you understand your rights if you are bitten.
If a dog bites you, here are some things you should do at the time of injury:
- Get the owner of the dog’s information, such as name, address, and phone number
- If it is a stray, pick out some identifying factors of the dog for someone to be able to find
- Wash the bite with soap and water
- Call your doctor for care instructions, or call 311 to report the edge and determine if you may need a rabies shot
- If the dog is dangerous to others, call 911
It is essential to tend to the bite carefully and make sure you are taken care of. Depending on the severity of the edge, you might have to go to the hospital to stop infection or get a rabies shot. It may also be beneficial to contact personal injury lawyer on Long Island, if you intend to sue the owner.
When it comes to a dog bite, you have the right to sue the owner for any medical charges necessary. The dog owner is liable for any damages or injuries the dog may have caused you. If they are found guilty, dog owners will compensate you for medical expenses, time lost from work, and suffering. For a civil liability lawsuit, you should be able to prove one or more of the following to hold the owner liable:
- The state you are in has “strict liability dog-bite laws,” in which case the owner is financially responsible
- You can prove the owner knew the dog tended to bite/cause injury
- You can verify the owner was negligent
When it comes to criminal liability, a judge will order the owner to follow certain restrictions when it comes to the dog or calls the dog to be euthanized if the dog is dangerous. In severe cases where the dog kills someone, the owner may be charged with manslaughter or a similar crime.
If you or someone in your town has been bitten by a dog and is seeking legal action, contacting personal injury lawyer on Long Island , is the place to start. Gulotta & Gulotta serves Lake Grove residents at our nearby office in Ronkonkoma, NY. Our offices can help you seek the proper legal action required to get you the compensation you need. Call us today!
Personal Injury is a broad term used in the legal world to cover a wide variety of injuries that can happen to one’s body, emotions, or reputation. It applies to any injury that a person or entity inflicts upon another person that was from intentional, negligent, or reckless behavior. It is important to hire legal counsel to make sure that you are fully aware of the compensation that you may be owed. If you are searching for a personal injury lawyer on Long Island contact Gulotta & Gulotta.
Common Causes of Personal Injury
Many different causes give one the right to file a claim to recover damages. When someone suffers from an injury of any sort, there are many after-effects due to the event. The following are common types of personal injury cases:
- Vehicle Accidents: Millions of people are injured due to accidents involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc. If someone is injured, whether it is the driver or a passenger, they may be entitled to compensation for any injury they may have endured.
- Medical Malpractice: Although doctors, nurses, hospitals, and other medical professionals are there to help us, they can also cause serious injury through negligence. If you or a loved one have suffered from medical malpractice and are looking for a personal injury lawyer on Long Island, Gulotta & Gulotta can help you to get proper compensation.
- Wrongful Death: This encompasses when someone has been killed due to someone else’s carelessness. The most common examples are deaths due to car crashes, nursing home neglect, and medical malpractice.
- Premises Liability refers to accidents caused by dangerous conditions on someone’s property. This term encompasses accidents that occur on just about any type of land, whether commercial or personal.
Gulotta & Gulotta
Personal Injuries can occur anywhere at any time under various circumstances. It is essential that if you suffer from an injury, you get the compensation you deserve. The financial burden that comes from the medical treatment needed after any one of the situations can be detrimental. That is why you should be aware of your rights and have proper legal counsel to help you through. If you need a trusted personal injury lawyer on Long Island, contact Gulotta & Gulotta today.
Prior Results Do Not Guarantee Future Outcomes